Kinderley Primary School intends to use the Language Angels scheme of work and resources to ensure we offer a relevant, broad, vibrant and ambitious foreign languages curriculum that will inspire and excite our pupils using a wide variety of topics and themes. All pupils will be expected to achieve their full potential by encouraging high expectations and excellent standards in their foreign language learning - the ultimate aim being that pupils will feel positively encouraged to continue studying languages beyond key stage 2.
Our aims of teaching MFL are for children to:
● foster an interest in learning another language;
● become aware that language has a structure, and that this structure differs from one language to another;
● develop speaking and listening skills.
● gain enjoyment, pride and a sense of achievement;
● explore and apply strategies to improve their learning;
● explore their own cultural identities and those of others.
Teaching and learning styles and procedures
At Kinderley Primary School we are investing in ‘Language Angels’ a French based curriculum that encompasses a variety of teaching and learning styles. Its principal aim is to develop children’s knowledge, skills, and understanding of French and the French culture. Children will have the opportunity to support their work with a variety of resources. Through this we will aim for a balance of whole class, group and independent learning, wherever possible, encouraging children to use and apply their learning in other areas of the curriculum; ICT, PE and Music, for example, are particularly appropriate for cross-curricular teaching.
The lessons are to be delivered by the class teacher. KS2 children are entitled to one hour of MFL teaching a week which will follow a set progression.